Monday, August 10, 2009

What I did with Mammoth...

Mammoth was a large zucchini (If you have no idea what "Mammoth" is, scroll down to the last posting). To think that there are others like it in my garden scares me. But my challenge this past weekend was to cook that son of a gun, and I was (mostly) successful.


Here are the zucchini recipes from this weekend:


Blueberry-Zucchini-Chocolate Chip Bread

Ingredients:
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups white sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
3 cups all-purpose flour (I used all whole wheat, it's much more filling)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 pint fresh blueberries
Handfull of chocolate chips

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans. Top with chocolate chips.
3. Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.


Stuffed Zucchini (an original - so simple and delicious!)

Ingredients:
1 medium zucchini, slices in half, cored
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup Boca crumbles or ground turkey
1 onion and 2 cloves garlic, sauteed in olive oil
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup parmesan cheese


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix 1 cup tomato sauce, boca crumbles, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and parm in a bowl.
Place zucchini in pan. Stuff with mixture. Top with tomato sauce.
Bake for 45 minutes.


I also made roasted vegetable lasagna, but I really don't feel like explaining the recipe since it's pretty long. But here's one that's pretty similar.


All this cooking and I still had some zucchini left. I ended up putting it into the compost pile because it had lots of seeds at the end and was pretty tough. I guess my sister Ashlee was right - I shouldn't let my vegetables get so big. But anyone else who has a garden knows that once the vegetables start coming, it's hard to keep up with them.

No comments: