Wednesday, December 23, 2009

And a Merry Christmas to You, GP

My Dad informed me last night that a certain GP was so kind as to have his wife deliver a Christmas gift to my Dad for me. My parents will bring it up to Cleveland for me this weekend, so I’m yet sure what the gift is. While the from line on the gift states, “Fox News,” I am fairly certain that the benefactor of this gift is GP.

Fortunately and unfortunately, GP was not offended by my last blog entry in the slightest. My Dad tells me that while I may have won that battle, the war forges on. He says I have only thrown more fuel on GP’s fire. Yet, GP did tell me personally that he enjoys hearing both sides of the story. So I will continue to persist in hopes of swaying him eventually.

Anyway, since it seems that GP has given me a Christmas gift, I felt it appropriate to repay the favor. So I just sent him a lovely Christmas card from TerraPass, a organization that offsets carbon by sponsoring alternative power projects. The card represents a reduction of 500 pounds of CO2 – the average emissions from two week’s worth of driving.

While I had considered purchasing carbon offsetting for his vehicle for 2010, I realized that I would be broke in the end. If I wanted to offset all of GP’s vehicles (for GP is a Jay Leno in that he is the proud owner of about eight bazillion cars), I would need to take out a small loan.

But I did let GP know that he himself can purchase a yearly offset for his vehicles, and I encouraged him to do so. With the money spent on carbon offsetting, TerraPass funds three different project types: clean energy produced by wind power; farm power (which makes good use of animal wastes); and landfill gas capture (which reduces the impact of our own wastes).

So if you’re stuck looking for a last-minute Christmas gift for a family member or friend, consider purchasing a TerraPass.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone – especially you, GP!

No comments: