Friday, June 20, 2008

Rising Gas Price Are Fine By Me...

I was talking with a nameless family member last week who voiced his dismay over rising gas prices. Although I wanted to tell him he had no one to blame but himself for voting for "W," who has sent our economy into the crapper and is spending billions of dollars on a so-called war - I took the green approach.

"I love rising gas prices," I said.
"What? Are you kidding me?" he said.
"Nope," I said. "Think about what rising gas prices mean. Less Hummers, less yachts; more high-mileage compact cars and more public transportation."

I read a statistic today today saying that Americans drove 11 billion fewer miles in May of 2008 when compared to the same month last year. 11 billion fewer miles! And all because of rising fuel costs.

You know, the little things we do each day - composting, using canvas shopping bags and reusable coffee cups - help. But really, we need big changes.

If you'd like to voice your opinion and stand up to make a difference, visit http://www.wecansolveit.org. Become a more-informed citizen and take action.

7 comments:

Diane said...

I thought the exact same thing the other day! And I was just nauseous and angry listening to George Bush's suggestion to go back to offshore drilling. Maybe if we have higher gas prices people will have to resort to simpler ways and will thus learn to value the important things instead of materialism! I totally concur with you!

Kristine Kascak said...

I also heard that and was so upset. I sincerely hope it won't occur. But I think it will be a good test to see how the two presidental canditates respond. McCain and Obama are both said to be pro-environmental issues - let's see what happens when it comes to this.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Kristine. But in the mean time gas prices aren't going to decrease anytime soon, so you might as well get something out of it right? With gas becoming more and more expensive, Jack wants to help you fill your stomach. Bring any gas receipt to Jack in the Box next Thursday, June 26th, and get two free tacos. You know you love those tacos, don't deny it.-the crispy goodness with the melted cheese, hot sauce, and crisp lettuce on the inside. No gimmicks, no hidden fees, no purchase necessary-just two free tacos. Don't believe me?

Check out:
http://jackinthebox.com/twofreetacosday/index.php?Campaign=MW-TFT-B

And don’t keep it a secret…let all of your friends know if they like taaaaacos!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

Hi Kristine.
While I understand that you may not know me, I would be your BFF if you could give Ash her cookbook before Christmas. Like, now. That would be awesome.
KThanksBye
Courtney =)

kylee said...

Hi Kristine - great blog.

Please give Ashlee her Padma Lakshmi cookbook that you so lovingly had signed for her - before Christmas. It would just be cruel to make her wait.

kthxbai

Anonymous said...

Our country has been so spoiled by low gas prices for so long. In Europe they've had high gas prices forever, and they've adapted with much smaller, more efficient vehicles (they actually don't mind walking great distances there!), much better & more abundant public transportation. I've gotten so sick of seeing all the completely unnecessary gas guzzling eco-unfriendly SUVs on the roads. People really need to change their ways. I agree with you and Diane - simpler is better, and now is the time. Great article!

Anderson Family said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way. With rising gas prices, it makes hybrids more competitive. Now all we need to do is stop subsidising oil companies and make gas prices the true price.